Friday, October 23, 2009

Compassion

Compassion is not a right; it is most certainly a privilege. It is a privilege of one who desires to bestow it.

A woman once told me that I was certainly compassionate, but only with those people who I deemed that were not strong enough -- those deserving compassion. Those who I judged were capable of taking care of themselves, I had no "sympathy" for. As a purveyor of compassion, I couldn't agree more.

This rational judgement also expands beyond compassion.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". It is for that very reason one can judge -- those without dirt on their hands are beyond reproach and exist in a different ethical plane -- one which can not be rationally understood. Ultimately, one is only able to judge those whom they deem have an equal or lessor ethical standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment